Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Get your swiss chard on

Today I made pasta so delicious that I pretty much ate it for breakfast. Lucky for you, I am kind enough to share. This is because I secretly (or not so secretly, now) long to be a food blogger. Unfortunately, I work nights, so I don't cook nearly enough for any of you to remain interested. Also, when I do cook something that's delicious and beautiful, I forget to take pictures. So for this exercise, you'll need your imagination, a cooking pot, a skillet, and the following ingredients:

"No Wonder I Read Klekov" Pasta
whole wheat pasta (I like thin spaghetti)
one bunch of swiss chard, with the stalks cut away from the leaves
one small onion, chopped
lots of garlic, pressed
about a pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
bread crumbs
pine nuts
butter
salt and pepper
  1. Cook pasta (I used whole wheat thin spaghetti).
  2. In a skillet, let the onion cook with the garlic until it's soft and yellow. (You can use olive oil or butter to do this. Obviously, it will be tastier with butter. Also, if you're using a red onion, it will never turn yellow). Add the halved cherry tomatoes. When their color brightens, add the tomatoes/onion/garlic to the pasta -- which, by the way, you should have drained.
  3. In your now-empty skillet, melt a little butter,* and then saute the chard stalks until they soften. Add the leaves; cook until wilted. Dump the chard into your pasta.
  4. With your skillet empty again, melt another bit of butter (I know. This has to be delicious.) Toss in a few handfuls of pine nuts, and then a few handfuls of bread crumbs. Let everything get toasty while you add a little salt and pepper. Mix the pine nuts/bread crumbs into the pasta.
  5. Eat! For breakfast, if you have to, or lunch or dinner.
*Quick note: if you don't have much experience cooking with a vegetable, use a little butter. Even if you don't get it exactly right, it will taste delicious enough to give you confidence to try it again.

1 comment: