Tuesday, August 4, 2009

first time for everything

Yesterday, someone at work called me a "white bitch." (SOMEONE WHOSE CESAREAN INCISION I CHECKED ON FRIDAY ARE YOU SERIOUS?! It sounds obvious, but I now know it to be true: Mental health issues will drive you crazy.) I'm sure plenty of residents have called me much worse names in the privacy of their rooms, or as they walk away from me down the hall, but I've never heard it. I realized I've never been really cussed out before.

So I can check that off my list of things to do before I die.

The same client also verbally assaulted another resident , who then came to me worried that she would retaliate, stressed that she has to deal with this during her pregnancy, and clearly very hurt. (She said her peer was afflicted by a demon. Should I have argued?) I had to tell her not to personalize, to be the bigger person, and to remember that this is the stuff that Makes Us Stronger.

Then I was so strong that I turned green and sinewy and huge, and burst out of my clothing. (Side note: How do I feel that the Incredible Hulk and I have the same haircut? I feel unoriginal.) And obviously, after that happened, I needed a day off. So hooray! Today I'm celebrating My Sister's 26th Birthday all day long.

1 comment:

  1. hooray for my birthday! I had SO MUCH FUN! Thank you!

    -Lex

    ReplyDelete