I've been the residential coordinator on the adult hall at NYMMH* since mid-November. Since then, on my shift, approximately
- two clients have been in a fist fight (twice).
- fifteen clients have delivered their babies.
- five clients have had spoiled milk poured all over their rooms.
- three clients have been emergency transported to the ER. (The middle of the night! The extremely pregnant women! The adrenaline! The van keys! Where are the van keys?!)
- two clients have stopped speaking to me. I am the Meanest Staff Ever.
- three staff members have been chosen to go across the country for a training in a healthy relationship curriculum. One's me! I am the Luckiest Staff Ever.
- one meal served in the cafeteria has been edible
I'm thankful that my job challenges me to learn to love the difficult ones.
*Some names have been changed to protect the innocent.